About VolunteeringWithout volunteers, no event the magnitude of the Mass Dash can succeed. The Jimmy Fund and the Mass Dash are indebted to those who volunteer in order to make the Mass Dash happen!
The Mass Dash starts at the foot of DCR Mt. Greylock, at the DCR Mt. Greylock State Reservation Visitors Center in Lanesborough, Massachusetts, and ends at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. Along the way, there are 18 transitions (TAs) (See the Course Legs), where one runner from each team hands off the team’s baton to his or teammate running the next leg of the race. The TAs are staffed by volunteers, the Mass Dash Race Crew, who manage the flow of runners and vehicles coming through the transitions.
Each TA is identified by a number (T0 through T18), its location (town), and its open and close times. We require Race Crew volunteers to be at their respective TAs for the entire duration (from opening to closing). Staffing these sites in shifts is also possible. The open-to-close window of a TA will be between three and five hours, depending on the TA. Assignments for TAs will be made on a first come, first served basis. We will do our best to accommodate your requests.
Race Crew volunteer duties include:
- Directing runners to the correct hand-off or relay exchange zone;
- Directing and assisting team vehicles for parking;
- Recording team numbers and clock times as racers enter the relay exchange zone;
- Assist and/or direct runners to food, water and restrooms;
- Assist in final clean up of site, including removing signage and trash.
We will provide training for all volunteer leaders in advance of the event, typically through planned meetings and/or conference calls.
Additionally, all Race Crew volunteers:
- Will receive an official Mass Dash “Race Crew” t-shirt;
- Must sign a waiver of liability;
- Are responsible for their own transportation to and from their designated TA assignment;
- Are responsible for their own food and drink during the event;
- May be asked to attend a pre-event informational meeting;
- Are invited to the Finish Line party on Boston Harbor on Sunday afternoon at the University of Massachusetts at Boston.